Chronology of Events of St. John Baptist Church
1875 Church organized by a group of Indianola hurricane survivors. Services held in Gusset's Barn.
1876 Church building was erected at 1000 North Broadway Street.
1902 Choir organized.
1910 Church moved to 1305 Ramirez Street.
1929 - 1940 New church building erected at 1305 Ramirez. Property adjacent to the church purchased and church parsonage erected.
1941 - 1945 Church annex built.
1948 - 1955 Radio broadcast.
1954 Church Band Organized.
1956 Parsonage purchased at 1709 Stillman.
1958 3-1/2 acres of land purchased at 5445 Greenwood Dr.
1959 Rev. Harold T. Branch initiated Unified Budget System.
1960 Church membership voted to relocate on Greenwood Dr.
1961 Ground breaking ceremonies held 4th Sunday in January.
1964 Purchase of Church Annex.
1965 Purchase of 2-3/4 acres of land.
1967 Church damaged by Hurricane Beulah.
1968 Ground breaking ceremonies held in August for new sanctuary. Sanctuary construction began in October.
1969 Entered new Sanctuary May 18th.
1970 Church damaged by Hurricane Celia, renovation to church parsonage. Built new custodial house and utility building.
1971 Air conditioning of the Educational Building.
1973 Inaugurated a new church training program called, “Church, The Sunday Night Place to Be”.
1975 100th Church Anniversary.
1990 115th Church Anniversary.
1993 The church embarked on a refurbishment and building program.
1996 The church received a Historical Marker from the Nueces County Historical Commission.
1997 March 11—Rev. Wellington A. Johnson, Sr. resigned.
April 23—Rev. Cecil C. Walker, Jr. was called to serve as the Coordinating Minister.
1998 May 13—Rev. Derrick E. Reaves accepted the call to Pastor St. John Baptist Church.
October - Rev. Reaves was installed as the 17th Pastor of St. John Baptist Church. During the first four months of his Pastorate, worship attendance increased 60%.
1999 The mission of the church was defined. "We are a church built around the five-fold purpose Christ has established for his church: Worship, Evangelism, Discipleship, Ministry and Fellowship".
The Financial Operation is enhanced by the creation and publishing of the General Fund Operating Procedures.
2000 Purchased 4.5 acres of land for $10,000.
Birth given to our F.A.I.T.H. Evangelism Strategy.
2001 Children’s Church Ministry created.
2002 Purchased a new church van.
2004 To aid in our embracing a Spirit-filled dynamic worship service, a new grand piano and keyboard were purchased.
2005 The church became debt free!
2006 Renovation Campaign.
2007 The Year of Destiny! God called us to be a church of prayer.
Mary K. Jackson was selected as the first female trustee to serve in the St. John Church.
2008 Major renovation project.
Weekly Television Ministry on Fox MyKTOV network and Public Access channels began.
Deacon Emeritus was established to honor our senior saint deacons.
2009 The church celebrates a decade of Pastor Reaves leadership.
Pastor Reaves earned his Doctorate from Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, TX.
A daily radio ministry was established on radio station KSGR 91.1 F.M.
2011 Adopted an amendment to the church constitution regarding Human Sexuality.
Adopted the St. John Ministry Core Values.
2012 Partnered with South Texas School of Christian Studies (STCS) and Corpus Christi Baptist Association (CCBA) to build the Dr. Harold T. Branch Baptist Mission Center on our property.
2013 Celebrated 138th Church Anniversary and 52nd Homecoming and marked another milestone by ordaining five new deacons in the St. John church.
2014 One-on-One With God Discipleship Training
Church Three-Day Fast
Renovation of Children and Youth Areas
New Church LED/Marquee Sign
New Trustees Added to Ministry
2015 Began Livestream Broadcast
60 Days of Prayer
Renovation of Fellowship Hall and Kitchen
Repavement of Parking Lot